Methodist and Presbyterian Churches, and Masonic Hall, Farnham Street
The first Church, closest to the old Goal is the Presbyterian Church, built in 1836 and still in use today. It’s a Scot’s Presbyterian Church, and was built with a residence for the Reverend.
The Methodist church, now Abbey Printers, was built in 1874 is said to be erected by the famous Methodist Preacher, John Weasley. John Weasley had a preaching house on Weasley Street, now Thomas Ashe Street, and moved his church to here after the construction of Farnham Street. The empty plinth once houses a fine tower.
The Masonic Hall, with its free mason emblem, was built in 1855. The Hall is still active with about 35 member holding monthly meeting. It is one of five active lodges in County Cavan today.
Situated on Connolly Street, which was originally known as Dublin New Road, the egg market was on the original Dublin – Cavan- Enniskillen route...
The Town Hall
This sandstone hall was built from 1907 to 1910 and was erected by William Ballinagh and Sons. The cost was £2,688. The Architect was William Scott and the site...
Sketches of Cavan
Sketches drawn by Cavan man Philip Cullivan in the 1970s...Read more
Cavan Gaol (now St Felim’s Boys School)
Cavan Gaol was erected in 1810 and had 68 cells which could accommodate 150 prisoners. A female section was erected in 1830...
The Catholic Cathedral of St Patrick and St Felim
The Catholic Cathedral of Kilmore is relatively new. The architect was Ralph Byrne and it is built of Granite with Limestone...
Percy French's House No. 16 Farnham Street
Percy French was an engineer, inspecting Civil works in County Cavan. He also became well known as a composer of songs such as...
The Abbey (Abbey Lands)
In 1300 Giolla Iosa O’Reilly attracted a group of Franciscans to found a friary at Cavan and this was sometimes used as a type of retirement home for the local rulers...
Church of Ireland
The Church of Ireland belongs to the parish of Urney and construction began on this beautiful building in 1807. It was designed by John Bowden and built of Sandstone. The church has an octagonal spire and a three faced clock...
The Court House
The Court House on Farnham Street, built in 1825 and designed by William Farrell, actually stands on what used to be the Market Square...
The first train to leave Cavan departed for Dublin on 8th July 1856 and was open to passengers and goods transporters...
Occupational First Aid Course taking place here at Cavan Innovation & Technology Centre on 21st, 22nd & 23rd February 2018. To book your place please email firstname.lastname@example.org or book online www.cavanitc.ie/health-safety/
Also Occupational First Aid Refresher Course on 1st February 2018:
Delegates have successfully completed a 3- Day Occupational First Aid Course and their Certificate is still valid. There is a two month grace given on this, for e.g. if a person’s certificate is due to expire in December 2017 they have until the 28th of February 2018 to complete a 1- day Refresher course, if they fail to do this they will be required to attend a 3- day Occupational First Aid course to recertify.