The Old Farnham Hotel
This was located on Farnham Street. It was erected around 1825 as a Hotel and staging post. It was built in conjunction with the newly constructed Farnham Street and the staging post was moved to the new hotel. The wonderful Stone Arch to the side of the building was the entrance for the stage posts and there were stables for the horses to the back of the hotel. It was closed during the Famine and was considered by the poor law unions as an extension to the work house. Residents objected and Capt. Erskine bought it and converted it to two houses. One house was later used as the Vocational School from 1931 to the early ’70s. The other housed the Library and the Committees of Agriculture.
A property developer by the name of Erskine built a number of fine Georgian Houses on Farnham Street on land bought from Cavan Jail. They were three storeys over a basement. It was occupied by the gentry of Cavan in the 19th Century.
Dr. Galligan’s House
Dr. Brian (Ben) Galligan’s carried on a medical practice here on Farnham Street. He was the founder member of Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann and formed many Branches in Cavan. He was elected national Vice-chair in 1952 and National chair in 1956 and was instrumental of bringing the 1954 Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann to Cavan. Born in America in 1919, he returned to Ireland with his family in 1934, where they first lived with his father’s sister on Thomas Ashe Street, before moving to their newly built house on Farnham Street. Dr. Galligan died in 1978.