The Court House on Farnham Street, built in 1825 and designed by William Farrell, actually stands on what used to be the Market Square. It cost £11,000 to £12,000 and was built thanks to Farnham Estate. It was built by Mssrs Colborne and Williams of Dublin from sandstone taken from the local quarry at Latt. The façade has five bays and has two storeys. It was sold to the Urban District Council in 1923. In the early thirties there was a decision by the County Council to remove British emblems from the courthouse and its surrounds. The now empty plinth to the front top of the building is were the British coat of arms, the lion and the unicorn stood and a canon stood on the lawn to the front of the building. The canon was presented to the town of Cavan, after the Siege of Sebastopol, at the command of Queen Victoria. The Council records show the canon was sold c. 1934.
In 1987 the courthouse was practically reconstructed by Mssrs P Elliott and Co. In addition to court sittings this building provides a venue for art exhibits as well as offices for the Cavan County Council and the court.
The statue to the front of the Courthouse is of Thomas Sheridan, of the West Cavan Brigade, who was killed while fighting for Irish freedom in 1920.