The new county library was built on the site of the old protestant hall. The original protestant hall was built by the Farnham family for the people of Cavan to have a meeting hall and events space. Percy French performed here in his day, along with others. In the late ’80s, the old Protestant Hall was replaced with the new County Library that you see today. This building houses Cavan Library, Cavan Geneology & Tourism Office and some offices of Cavan County Council. It was designed by Shaffrey & Co Ltd. The statue at the front of the building is in tribute to the seventh Baron Lord Farnham, killed in a train accident in Abergele in Wales in 1865. The Statue which was erected by R.S. Lynn cost £1000 in 1871 and was financed by the tenants of Farnham Estate.
The Presbyterian Church is a single cell building with a porch at the west end. It has six pinnacles, three on the porch and three at the gable end. It is inscribed “Scots Church 1836” and built of large blocks of sandstone. The first rector was Rev. Robert Fleming.
The original Farnham Arms Hotel was built as a coaching inn in 1816 along the newly laid Farnham Street but it closed during the famine. The site in Farnham Street was later used as a school, a fire station and now houses public offices.
The Methodist Church was also situated on Farnham Street. It was built in 1874 of limestone and is a single cell with a pointed west window. The tower which was never completed contains the pointed doorcase. It was then closed in the early 1970s and is now Abbey Printers.
In the early 1830s the widow of the Fourth Baron Farnham set aside the land on the east side of the street as a public park, with walkways, fountains and a park-keepers lodge but throughout the 20th century the park was neglected and its lands absorbed by other developments. This rose garden is being maintained as a tribute to what was once Farnham Gardens.