This building is of special interest in Cavan as the mill is an integral part of Cavan’s history. Milling can be traced back to the 1300s when the Franciscans had a flour mill on that site. The current mill dates back to the 1840s when there were ninety working corn mills in the county. It was built in 1846 when there were no other mills within two miles of it. Over the years it has changed hands several times until it was abandoned in the 1960s.
A massive restoration project saved the mill in the 1990s and it is now in perfect working order, with a saved cutstone building located just outside. Scheduled for demolition in Drogheda it was relocated to the mill property, including all of the original machinery, reassembled and now is a part of the enclave which also includes a tea room, a shop and a conference room, which are opened on occasion to the public. The only remaining McAdam Water Turbine can be seen at this mill.