Puddin Lane is no longer with us, but was located in this general location, just off Main Street. In the 1911 Census, it is recorded that four houses were lived in on Puddin Lane. The Drum family was one of the families living here. Thomas Drum was the local blacksmith and he also had a forge at this location. Thomas was the blacksmith who worked on the new Cathedral on Farnham Street and during the period he was working on that building, he also opened a second forge at the Cathedral. The blacksmiths forge was at that time, the heart of the community and locals would gather as he worked to chat and socialize.
Across the road where the Credit Union is now, the Old Cavan Central Stores was located. It was the first general store in Cavan Town. As a general store it sold a wide variety of goods, this was a new concept in Cavan at the time. The Railway had come to Cavan Town in 1862, so local merchants got together and opened the Central Stores as they believed that the people of Cavan could now get more goods from Dublin and Belfast and wanted to keep the business local. It was later bought by Woolworths who kept up the tradition of the general store.